Located just northwest of the University of Denver, Platt Park is a distinctive community.
It’s an eclectic area for students and businesses alike. It is a very friendly neighborhood with coffee shops, restaurants, bookstores, and retail shops within walking distance of most of the homes in the area.
Some of the more popular are the Sushi Den, Stella’s Coffee and the Pearl Street Grill. Everyone enjoys visiting the Sunday farmers market which is open from June through October, and features Colorado produce from across the state. In addition, nearby Broadway offers a multitude of antique and specialty shops.
James Fleming, the town’s only mayor, built his historic estate on South Grant Street in 1882. The beautiful home still remains and the grounds have been preserved as a city park. Platt Park was annexed by the city of Denver in 1894
The Platt Park People’s Association, a registered organization, serves the 3,000 homes and businesses in the area, and meets the second Tuesday of every month at Cameron Church.
By far, the most recognized structure in the city is the massive, now defunct, Gates Rubber plant on the north side of town, along Santa Fe Drive and interstate 25. There are few available tracts of land left on which to build in central Denver. The Gates tract offers developers a rare opportunity for growth and progress.
The plant is currently being razed and will be replaced at a cost of between one-half and three-quarters of a billion dollars. It will offer housing, retail outlets, offices and entertainment. This is scheduled for completion by 2010 and definitely defines the future of Platt Park.